Academic institutions in the United States with graduate educational research programs are eligible for the Fellowship Award. ASNT membership is not required for eligibility.
The application should be in the form of a proposal for a graduate level research project from the university outlining what the program or graduate study activity will consist of and how long they will manage the Fellowship. All Fellowship proposals should be formatted as follows:
- Length: The proposal, with all supporting materials, should not exceed twenty (20) one-sided pages.
- Title Page: Should list the title, school name, the faculty member submitting the proposal, the name of the potential student recipient, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address. It shall also specify the anticipated start date, estimated date of completion, and to who the funds are to be disbursed.
- Abstract: A brief executive summary of the nature and scope of the research to be performed.
- Research Proposal: This should contain a detailed description of the graduate research project, indicating the objectives, planned approach, and expected results.
- Program of Study: This should provide a brief description of the actual or typical program of study of the potential student recipient. A brief catalog description of the indicated courses would be helpful.
- Research Facilities: This should include a description of the research facilities, equipment, and other appropriate resources available for use on this project.
- Budget: This should indicate the resources dedicated to the project. The proposed use of ASNT Fellowship funds should be indicated explicitly. None of the ASNT Fellowship funds can be used for overhead or indirect institution expenses.
- Background Information: This should include a resume or background information for both the faculty advisor(s) and the potential student recipient.
Click Here to Submit Your Nomination Online
The Financial Awards Committee selects up to five (5) $20,000 awards each year, pending merit and number of submissions. The committee will critically review all proposals using the following guidelines and the contents and quality of the submitted proposals:
- How novel is the research
- Value of potential contribution
- Soundness of technical approach
- Scope of the proposed research effort
- Potential for successful completion
- Adequacy of the proposal team
- Adequacy of the facilities
- Nomination deadline: 15 October
- The Financial Awards Committee will provide its recommendation to the ASNT Board of Directors during ASNT’s Research Symposium.
- Recipients and non-recipients will be notified following the Symposium.
- Funding will begin in July. The funds shall be directed to the contracting office of the university or college department of the recipient for disbursal as described in the proposal.
- Awards will be presented at the ASNT Annual Conference. Financial support is not provided for attending the awards ceremony.
- The Fellowship student recipient must present their findings at an annual conference following completion of the research. In order to present, the student must submit an abstract to ASNT. ASNT’s Program Coordinator will correspond the appropriate deadlines for submitting abstracts.
- When the Fellowship student recipients presents their findings at annual conference, ASNT shall provide reimbursement for a coach/economy flight (up to $500) and for one (1) night’s hotel lodging.
- A paper on the completed research must be submitted to ASNT no later than twenty-four (24) months after the start date indicated on the proposal. The paper will be exclusively published in Material’s Evaluation.
For any questions regarding the award process or timeline, please contact ASNT’s Program Specialist at email@example.com.
Form of Award
$20,000 in funding. Recipients who are not members of ASNT shall be given a complimentary one (1) year membership.