NDT Level III Personnel Qualification Certification for MT - Magnetic Particle Testing Outline
About Magnetic Particle Testing (MT)
Magnetic Particle Testing uses one or more magnetic fields to locate surface and near-surface discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials. The magnetic field can be applied with a permanent magnet or an electromagnet. When using an electromagnet, the field is present only when the current is being applied. When the magnetic field encounters a discontinuity transverse to the direction of the magnetic field, the flux lines produce a magnetic flux leakage field of their own.
This examination is 2 hours in length, having 90 questions of equal value.
- Principles of magnets and magnetic fields
- Characteristics of magnetic fields
- Magnetic particle test equipment
- Inspection materials
- Magnetization by means if electric current
- Selecting the proper method of magnetization
- Safety and Health
The number in parentheses following each reference is the ASNT catalog number.
- Level III Study Guide: Magnetic Particle Testing, Second Edition (2253)
- NDT Handbook: Third Edition, Volume 8, Magnetic Testing (148)
- Supplement to Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A (Q&A) Book — Magnetic Particle Method, Second Edition (2027)
ASNT offers an MT Refresher Course based on the above topical outline.