NDT Level III Personnel Qualification Certification for UT - Ultrasonic Testing Outline
About Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
Ultrasonic testing uses the same principle as is used in naval SONAR and fish finders. Ultra-high frequency sound is introduced into the part being inspected and if the sound hits a material with a different acoustic impedance (density and acoustic velocity), some of the sound will reflect back to the sending unit and can be presented on a visual display. By knowing the speed of the sound through the part (the acoustic velocity) and the time required for the sound to return to the sending unit, the distance to the reflector (the indication with the different acoustic impedance) can be determined.
This examination is 4 hours in length, having 135 questions of equal value.
- Comparison of contact and immersion methods
- Remote monitoring
- Calibration (electronic and functional)
- Evaluation of base metal product forms
- Evaluation of weldments
- Evaluation of bonded structures
- Variables affecting test results
- Evaluation (general)
- Specific applications
- Safety and Health
The number in parentheses following each reference is the ASNT catalog number.
- Level III Study Guide: Ultrasonic Testing (2261)
- NDT Handbook: Volume 7, Ultrasonic Testing (147)
- Supplement to Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A (Q&A Book) - Ultrasonic Testing Method (2028)
- Ultrasonics: Fundamentals, Technology, Applications (341)
ASNT offers a UT Refresher Course based on the Body of Knowledge outlined above.